The first steps that are taken after the death of a loved one are as follows:
- Notify family members, friends, church, and next of kin.
- Meet with the funeral home to make the necessary funeral arrangements.
- Locate the will to determine who is listed as the executor of the estate and whether any funeral instructions have been included in the will or attached to the will.
- Locate and secure assets. Change the lock on the house if others have keys and make sure neighbors watch the house.
- Contact the attorney who drew up the will or find an attorney if there is no will.