Ancillary Administration

Any out-of-state interest in real estate must be probated in that state.  If you own a vacation home in Michigan and a time share in Florida, an ancillary administration will have to be opened in Probate Court in those states to transfer the real estate to the heirs.  Thus, it is very important to make sure your out-of-state real estate is in a form that avoids probate or is titled to a trust or other entity that avoids probate.